The NACA Research Culture The personnel at LRC were classified according to their functions. There were the professional research engineers and the non-professionals. The engineers were of two types: experimentalists and theoreticians. The support personnel consisted of technical support (wind tunnel mechanics, machinists, typists, etc.) and infrastructure support. There were also a couple of non-research professional positions: technical librarians and “mathematicians”. These mathematicians were not, in any sense, like the mathematicians that taught math at UVA, nor were they like the theoretical physicists (which was to become my classification). They performed some of the computational tasks that were subsequently performed by electronic computers. Although the librarians and mathematicians often developed a certain familiarity with some of the technical terminology, they didn't have the scientific background for research...
A ROANOKE WINTER It was a cold winter that year in Roanoke. I remember that it actually snowed twice before Christmas - once in early December and again a few nights before Christmas. As I remember, Christmas was on a Tuesday, and it snowed about an inch on the previous Friday night, just enough to make the outdoors look Christmasy, and the Saturday grocery shopping a little slow. It must have been about '36 or '37, because I was about six or seven years old. The big pre-Christmas event was the pageant that was presented at the church on Sunday night. It was always held in the large basement below the main sanctuary, where Sunday-School met on Sunday mornings. We walked the half-mile to the church, because the temperature had dropped below freezing, and the streets that had been wet and slushy during the day had now refrozen, making the streets too icy for automobiles. We had to go a little early, because I was cast as a shepherd in the nativity scene to be presented b...
My Unlikely Hobby I often spend a warm summer afternoon sitting in a lawn chair in the shade of that tall pine tree in my front lawn while translating a novel or short story from Russian. I have no interest in visiting Russia or communicating with Russians in any way. This hobby developed in a circuitous way. When NASA had offered a free on-site course in Russian, I enrolled in it because I thought it would help me to translate some Russian publications on ionized gases. I had studied German in college, and had maintained and improved on my translating skills by reading German stories and watching a few German language movies. This ability proved to be of some benefit in ...
Comments
Post a Comment