Money

 

Money

My immediate concern when I entered on duty was financial, which translates to income. When I applied for a position at NACA, I had little hope for a significant increase in salary beyond my meager math instructor’s income. I had heard that the starting grade for engineers was GS-5, which at that time would represent only a slight improvement over my college instructor's salary. However, on reporting for duty I was pleasantly surprised to find that I would be ranked as a GS-7 because I had a graduate degree. Furthermore, a cost-of-living raise had recently been implemented, which added a second bump beyond the income I had expected. I felt a great sense of relief, as I now had a salary beyond the actual requirement for a very modest existence for a family of three. However, it still was not sufficient to permit me to set aside the kind of savings that would be required to purchase a home, establish a fund for my daughter’s future education, etc. That problem was on the verge of solution when I had two publications to my credit.

Those publications entitled me to a promotion, but that promotion did not come immediately because of a temporary government wide salary freeze. I was frustrated, and Dr. Katzoff was embarrassed, because he genuinely wanted me to be rewarded for my accomplishments. The promotion finally came, but then I would, by NASA rules, be required to remain in-grade for at least 18 months before I could be considered for promotion.

However, six months later when I walked into my office one Monday morning, I opened an internal distribution envelope containing a memo informing me that I had been elevated to the next higher grade. Elevated – not promoted; because I wasn't promoted. They had simply fired me at the end of the workday on Friday, and hired me on Monday as a “free-agent” experienced engineer at the higher grade. All of this was perfectly legal, but it had required memos by my supervisors at every level.

By this time I had completed several university extension courses in aerodynamics and applied math. I was recruited by the training office to teach University of Virginia extension classes in advanced applied math. The income from this work provided a welcome supplement to my NASA salary, but it was doubly rewarding because I was now learning the many basics of applied math, nearly all of which was missing from the courses that led to my two math degrees. I taught several of these classes, but then dropped out in order to devote my mind full time to research. But now, at last, I felt confident that I would be able to provided adequately for my family's present and future needs.


Return to table of contents for this label:

Table of Contents for Memories Label (augustmarsblog.blogspot.com)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Arts: Music

Reincarnation

My Piano